Monday, March 7, 2011

Hello!

Hi, everyone! I've decided to start a blog about running because, well, it's something I love doing. I have a log where I write stats like mileage, times, and overall feelings about every run, but that's just the bare minimum. The experience of running is a lot more than that. I plan on writing about training runs, races, things I've read about in Runner's World- basically whatever strikes me.

So a little about me. I'm 20 years old and the first time I "went for a run" was the summer before sophomore year of high school when I was 15. It was only a mile, and it took me a long time to finish it, but that didn't really matter to me. On November 23, 2006, I ran my first race, the Turkey Trot 5k at Maudslay Park in Newburyport, and finished in 35:33. The next year, I ran it in 27:05. In 2008, 26:17. In 2010, 24:32.

In between all those times, a lot happened. For starters, I got involved in high school track and cross country, which I credit for my dramatic development as a runner. Struggles I was having in my life could be dealt with on the roads; if I didn't have running, I don't know how I would have made it through the last two years of high school. The beginning of April represented a dramatic turnaround- I had been accepted to Tufts University and told by the coach that I could be part of the team there, and I set a new PR in the 2-mile: 13:18. I threw myself into training, and just when I thought I had a shot at qualifying for the varsity CAL championship meet, I developed a stress fracture in my ankle. Little did I know, this injury would plague me for the next 8 months and I would essentially have to start over in December, when it finally healed. I learned that I had hypermobility in my joints that caused me to overpronate (whoa big words), and some orthotic inserts for my shoes helped make sure I didn't re-injure myself.

I ran in three meets for Tufts during the spring track season, but I was still miles away from where I had been before my injury (pun may be intended). After threats from the coach that the cross country roster in the fall would be limited, I forced myself to train during the summer for the first time. Although I was logging more miles than ever before and pushing myself to the limit, I wasn't good enough to make it. Having established a great base late in the summer, I ran PRs at 5k and 5 miles in local races and separated myself from the Tufts team.

So where am I now? At home. The Tufts administration put me on academic leave for this semester and honestly, I don't know if or when I'm going back. I'm working, running, reading, and trying to figure things out. I think running will help- it seems to serve that role for a lot of people. Currently, I'm slated to run my first half marathon, the Middlebury Maple Run, on May 1st.

All in all, I'm a self-proclaimed non-athlete who decided to make running my main hobby about 4 1/2 years ago and I couldn't be happier with my choice. Sometimes I struggle to get out the door and lack discipline. My form is sloppy and I'm not built like a runner, but I try my best. I look forward to chronicling my adventures and I hope you enjoy reading about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment